Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

I qualify EITC. I have a wife and 2 children. My AGI

Customer Question

I qualify for the EITC. I have a wife and 2 children. My AGI was 2226. How much should I don't have any other IRS liens or debts, etc. How much should my EITC b?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. Thank you for choosing us to assist you. My name is ***** ***** my goal is to help make your life, a little... less taxing.
Following is the amount for tax year 2015.
$5,548 with two qualifying children
REFERENCE SOURCE:
http://www.irs.gov/Credits-&-Deductions/Individuals/Earned-Income-Tax-Credit/EITC-Income-Limits-Maximum-Credit-Amounts-Next-Year
Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right, but when the IRS reviewed my return they only gave me a credit of 590
Hello again,
Did you file married filing separately or married filing jointly? If jointly, does your wife work, does she have any income? Your AGI was $2,226, what was your gross income?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We filed married filing jointly. The AGI was her income as I am disabled. Total income (line 22) is $2226.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The letter from them stated that I had entered my EITC total on line 66a incorrectly. They then subsequently changed the amount.....
Does both the children have valid social security numbers? What type of employment was your wife's income from? Based on the information provided thus far, I am unable to tell you why they denied the full amount of the EITC. I looked at line 66a of the Form 1040.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, both children have valid social security numbers and my wife's income was from a part-time job at Pottery Barn. I am also unable to determine why it was disallowed.
As everything appears to be in order regarding the requirements, my only suggestion at this point is to call the IRS and ask why the EITC amount was decreased. As everything seems to be in order, I have no way of knowing why they decreased the amount. I wish that I cold provide you with a more favorable response. Sorry.
IRS
1-***-***-****
Be prepared to be on hold for a long time.
Hello again,
It was brought to my attention by a colleague that I provided you with incorrect information in my previous responses. Unfortunately, that is the case, I did provide you with incorrect information. I provided you with the maximum amount of the EITC credit for 2 children, instead of providing you with the actual amount of the credit based on your earned income, which is $890. Just like the income tax table, there is an EITC table. This table shows how much the credit is based on the income amount. For the $2226, the maximum amount of the credit is $890 for married filing jointly. I know that you wrote that the IRS corrected the amount to $590. I can't explain why the amount is $300 less than what is shown in the EITC table.
You can refer to the table at the following link:
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p596/ar02.html