Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I had a telephone message this morning that there is a lawsuit

Customer Question

I had a telephone message this morning that there is a lawsuit from IRS and I should call a phone number that was in the message. Is this a scam? I have received nothing in the mail about any problem. Please advise. Thank you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Yes, this IS a scam.IRS does not call taxpayers. This one has been around for a while now. Hang on and I'll get you the IRS notice on this:
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
From here: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Tax-Scams-Consumer-Alerts ...
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
"IRS-Impersonation Telephone ScamAn aggressive and sophisticated phone scam targeting taxpayers, including recent immigrants, has been making the rounds throughout the country. Callers claim to be employees of the IRS, but are not. These con artists can sound convincing when they call. They use fake names and bogus IRS identification badge numbers. They may know a lot about their targets, and they usually alter the caller ID to make it look like the IRS is calling. Victims are told they owe money to the IRS and it must be paid promptly through a pre-loaded debit card or wire transfer. If the victim refuses to cooperate, they are then threatened with arrest, deportation or suspension of a business or driver’s license. In many cases, the caller becomes hostile and insulting.Or, victims may be told they have a refund due to try to trick them into sharing private information. If the phone isn't answered, the scammers often leave an “urgent” callback request.Note that the IRS will never: 1) call to demand immediate payment, nor will the agency call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill; 2) demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe; 3) require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card; 4) ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone; or 5) threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.For more details on this ongoing scam, see:IR-2015-26, IRS Completes the Dirty Dozen Tax Scams for 2015 "
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for confirming my what I thought.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
IRS will never call you. That's not how the system works..If there ever is an issue you will get several notices before Ny action such as an audit is ever taken
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome.Your positive rating … (by using the stars or smileys on your screen) … is thanks enough! :0) … That’s how we’re credited for the work here