Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

I received a certified letter from the IRS and cannot pick

Customer Question

I received a certified letter from the IRS and cannot pick it up until tomorrow. My husband and I have been through an extremely rough time, lost our house etc. he is self employed and we file an extension every year, paying the bulk on October 15th. We pay very little taxes through the year because we just were surviving. Things are getting better now and have raised our credit scores and are going to buy a house. I work as a teacher and we do have the taxes taken out for there. We have been paying our tax bill, due in October, from IRAS. We are caught up and do not owe them any money from past year. Will owe the in October for 2014 and plan to pay it in September so we will get mortgage approval. We have an accountant and he has been doing the company and personal taxes for years. Unfortunately he is on vacation and again, cannot get any answers.
My questions are.
1. Do they send an audit notices by certified mail. If we are being audited, will that keep us for getting a mortgage.
2. Since I have been paying down debt, I have not paid any monthly taxes from monies taken out of the business this year. Planning to start next month. Could that be the problem.
I know my problem is complicated. But any advice you can give would be helpful
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. Thank you for choosing us to assist you. My name is ***** ***** my goal is to help make your life, a little... less taxing.
Q1a: Do they send an audit notices by certified mail. If we are being audited, will that keep us for getting a mortgage.
A1a: Yes, they do. However, this does not mean that the mail that you received from the IRS is an audit notice. It could be a document indicating that they are planning to take action against you.
A1b: If the lender gets wind of the IRS audit, it could affect their decision to approve a mortgage. It depends on the lender.
---------------------------
Q2: Since I have been paying down debt, I have not paid any monthly taxes from monies taken out of the business this year. Planning to start next month. Could that be the problem.
A2: Please clarify what you mean by monies taken out of the business. There a re a number of reasons why the IRS sends certified letters.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The monies were for sky husbands salary. We have filed taxes for every year and have paid taxes due. We filed and extension in April of this year for 2014 and paid a portion. Going to file in September of this year to pay the remainderWill start paying monthly tax payments for 2015 next month.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What actions could they be taking against me.
I see. Yes, the notice can be because of the taxes that are due.
Actions that the IRS an take are as follows;
1) Levying a bank account;
2) Garnishing wages;
3) Issuing a federal tax lien
However, before any of the above are done, the IRS is required to notify the taxpayer of their intent to do so. It could be a Letter 531 (Notice of Deficiency). SEE BELOW:
Letter 531 – Notice of Deficiency
You will get this letter if you owe additional tax or other amounts for the tax year(s) listed in the letter. The letter explains how to dispute the adjustments if you do not agree. If you want to dispute the adjustments without payment, you will have 90 days from the notice date to file a petition with the Tax Court.
The letter can be a notification of their intent to levy, a letter 11. SEE BELOW:
Letter 11 – Final Notice of Intent to Levy and Notice of Your Right to a Hearing
This letter is to notify you of your unpaid taxes and that the Service intends to levy to collect the amount owed. The letter and referenced publications explain how to request an appeal if you do not agree. You need to file a Form 12153, Request for A Collection Due Process Hearing and send it to the address shown on your levy notice within 30 days from the date of the letter in order to appeal the proposed action with the Office of Appeals.
The letter could also be a different notice. You can refer to the following IRS webpage for a list of different letters/notices that they send out.
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Letters-and-Notices-Offering-an-Appeal-Opportunity
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And this could be done even if we filed an extension for 2014.If we just submit the taxes by September 2st, will this go away?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or could this be from this year.If we pay by September 1st which is what I told the mortgage company, do you think this would hurt our mortgage app?
I am unable to answer the question regarding the mortgage approval because it depends on the lender, and what their process is when it comes to their mortgage approval process.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In general, if this is resolved quickly would their be a problem.
To the best of my knowledge, if the tax matter is resolved quickly, it should not affect your ability to obtain a mortgage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
You are very welcome. Please be so kind as to positively rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you in advance.