emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

We received a notice from the state of Oregon that

Customer Question

We received a notice from the state of Oregon for 2010 that our taxes were underpaid. They took the money we owed out of our tax refund we received this year. We still have the penalty and interest we had to pay. We were told we could ask that the penalties and interest be waived if we wrote a letter to the state asking for it be refunded or reduced.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.
Yes, it is called abatement of penalty for reasonable cause. You will have to write a letter to Oregon tax department explaining why you didn’t or couldn’t pay your taxes. A reasonable cause would be a major life changing event, illness or death in the family, destruction by fire or tornado, theft, unexpected financial hardship or other circumstance beyond your control. Your penalty could be reduced or eliminated, however the interest is usually reduced or eliminated only if you can prove that Oregon tax department made a mistake.
There are no guarantees and the decision is made on case by case basis but it s worth to try.
I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
I see you read my respond but didn't get any feedback. Do you have any questions or is there anything else I can help you with today?
And if you found my answers helpful, a Positive Rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!