Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I received a notice of a tax lien on my property and need to

Customer Question

I received a notice of a tax lien on my property and need to file an answer and am trying to find the proper way of doing so
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 20 years of experience.
Please advise if the notice is from the state or the IRS for federal tax.
This information is important as each have different procedures and the state of Mass has a warning about bogus warnings being sent to taxpayers.
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Different expert here – my name is ***** ***** please allow me to provide you with information regarding federal and MA state tax liens.
As to both federal and state, please note that a lien is the government’s legal claim against your property when you neglect or fail to pay a tax debt. The lien protects the government’s/state’s interest in all your property.
A lien is not a levy. A lien secures the government’s/state’s interest, and a levy actually takes the property.
The following links contain excellent information regarding federal and MA state tax liens which you will find helpful:
http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Understanding-a-Federal-Tax-Lien
http://www.mass.gov/dor/businesses/help-and-resources/legal-library/administrative-procedures/ap-631-the-collection-process.html
In either case, it is in your best interest to be proactive and communicate with the entity that has placed the lien.
Once you have had an opportunity to review this information, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb