emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

Does a church have to pay capital gains tax on a rental

Customer Question

does a church have to pay capital gains tax on a rental house when and if that house is sold in California?
Category: Tax
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Houses of worship in the United States — from churches and temples to mosques and synagogues — are considered tax-exempt entities by the federal government.
That means they do not.
I will offer you a call to discuss this because I think this is the easiest way to help you. I prefer a call. Often information from a call changes the original answer (based on the limited information supplied in the original question).
Additional information normally comes out in a call and I am better able to give an exact answer that applies to YOUR situation.
We will speak as long as necessary to resolve your issue. This is the minimum JA allows for additional services ($5-$500).
All you need do is accept the offer ($5) and I'll be able to share my number with you in a private screen.
I am available now.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Another expert here. Under some circumstances, church might have to pay capital gains on sale of real property, even though the church is has "tax exempt" status under section 501. You can read more about it here: http://www.religiousproductnews.com/articles/2007-September/Archives/Selling-Debt-Financed-Property-Special-Tax-Rule-Catches-Some-Churches-by-Surprise.htm