Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Sales tax audit . I got California sales tax audit in Jan

Customer Question

Sales tax audit . I got California sales tax audit in Jan 2014 and not agree with the auditor finding due to lots of errors an bias. I requested the case to be transferred to a more experience auditor. The new auditor was assigned and I told him that I
disagree with finding and explain the errors..I have not heard from him for almost 10 months now. I am wondering that the audit is closed or still open. What should I do at this point. and what will happen with this audit in the future.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
The usual timeframe within which to receive a determination is six months. My best advice would be to contact the new auditor that was assigned and request the status/outcome of the audit.
If you cannot obtain information from the auditor, you can contact the Taxpayers' Rights Advocate's Office in Sacramento at 1.***-***-****.
Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i do not like to reopen the audit either. I just want to know what they can do to me at this point and in the future
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
I understand what you're saying, but you do not want many months to pass by to allow interest and penalties to accrue. It is best to know the status now. That is why I suggested getting the Taxpayers' Rights Advocate's Office involved.
Best regards,
Barb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the case will closed automaticaaly if the time has past for so long. I was contacting the new auditor and he keeps postphone and later on disappears.
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
It is your choice to find out th status or take the chance that nothing will happen.