ShawnA
ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Experience:  CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
15641319

Can a county district tax (property tax) you they

Customer Question

Can a county district tax (property tax) you for services they don't provide?
Category: Tax
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. Retired CPA
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. The sad answer is YES. I'll offer you a call to discuss it in further detail.
What also makes it worse (sharing bad news) is that sometimes people get so angry they react emotionally and rate my service as bad.
The reality is that the answer to your question is very straightforward.
I wish I was able to supply a different answer, one along the lines you were probably hoping for but the facts are the facts.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
If you have other questions please ask now or later and I'll be happy to respond. I’ll be notified (even if I leave).
If not PLEASE rate this answer so I can be freed to help another person.
Even after you rate my response we can continue to chat here at no extra cost to you.
As I strive for quality vs. quantity, I find I can only handle a limited number of questions at a single time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - without any detail is not an answer. I was not looking for a YES/NO answer! I wanted to know WHY if yes or no.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also wanted a legal opinion - not a financial question.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
When a county assesses a tax it is "for the good of the many".
For example, there are county roads in your county. You may not have a drivers license or a car yet if you own property you will be required to pay anyway.
It's like the school tax. In most communities only 45% of families have children currently in the school system. Yet EVERONE pays. Even if you moved into a new county where your kids never went to school or even if you never had kids or never even got married.
Being an EMT ion our volunteer squad we take you to the hospital based on need. Bleeding bad ? St Claires in dover 6 miles away.
Child with broken leg? St Claires Denville 20 miles away because its a broken bone and they have a pediatric ER.
Most people at some point pay for some services.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
sorry I got cut off.
Most people pay for some services they will never use in any way (Sherriff, hospital, etc.). Unfortunately that's the legal rationale. they counties have had laws passed that enable them to access and collect as they see fit.
For the good of the many.
Hopefully this explanation makes more sense to you. Please let me know.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
If you do not require further assistance PLEASE rate this answer so I can be freed to help another person.