How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10846
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 501 (c) 3 corporation and need a sales tax certificate

Customer Question

I am a 501 (c) 3 corporation and need a sales tax certificate for Illinois
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
From Illinois Revenue:
If you are a Non-Profit Organization and you wish to apply for an Exempt (E) number, your organization should send a cover letter using your organization's letter head requesting the exemption, and include a copy of the following:
The articles of incorporation, if incorporated.
The organization's constitution, if unincorporated.
The by-laws.
The IRS letter, reflecting federal tax-exempt status, if your organization has one. See the Internal Revenue Service's website for information on becoming a non-profit organization.
The most recent financial statement. Religious organizations do not need to submit a financial statement with the initial request.
A brief narrative that explains purposes, functions, and activities of your organization.
Brochures or other printed material explaining the purposes, functions, and activities of your organization.
Any other information that describes the purposes, functions, and activities of your organization.
Note: There is no fee for this service and no form is provided by the Illinois Department of Revenue. A charitable organization isn't necessarily qualified because it has a charter from the Secretary of State’s office designating it as a not-for-profit corporation, or an exemption from federal taxes under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Although the information is relevant, it doesn't prove the charitable nature of the organization.
Please refer to the Illinois Administrative Code; Section(###) ###-####
The information outlined above should be sent to the following address:
PO BOX 19476
SPRINGFIELD, IL###-##-####
You can see all this here:
Pleas let me know if you have any questions at all...