Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I need to apply W8 as it is required by a NY company

Customer Question

I need to apply for a W8 as it is required by a NY company when we provide our services and equipment. How much does it cost & how long does it take for you to complete the information required?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.
I am assuming you are referring to the W-8BEN series of forms. If that assumption is incorrect, please let me know. If I am correct, we can proceed, and I will be happy to assist you with completing the appropriate form.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but first I need to know if we have to fill out an EIN and does a lawyer or tax accountant need to verify and stamp all forms?
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
No EIN is required, and you can complete and sign the form yourself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - I understand that since this is a business, the E-BEN-E form is required. And, you are stating we do not need an EIN?
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
No EIN is required. You are establishing yourself as a foreign person/entity.
The information contained at the following link will give you a better understanding:
http://blogs.angloinfo.com/us-tax/2012/12/24/what-is-form-w-8ben-and-what-is-it-used-for/
Once you have reviewed the information, please let me know and we can continue.
Best regards,
Barb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - but I'm a little confused. How will the number be issued once we have filled out the form? How long does it take?
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
You would not use Form W-8BEN-E to apply for an EIN. That is an entirely different process.
What is your specific intention?
To form an entity here to do business in the U.S. OR to provide information that you are a foreign entity (Canadian) wishing to assert foreign entity status and reduce/eliminate withholding of tax from your customer in the U.S. (NY)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I don't think this process will work as I will need to talk to someone live. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
I will gladly speak to you via phone. I will make you an offer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks but I will contact you when I have a better idea of what is required for this specific proposal.
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Take all the time you need. Just post any additional questions here, and I will respond.
Best regards,
Barb