Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

You sent me a notice telling me I now owe 8000.00, but you

Customer Question

You sent me a notice telling me I now owe 8000.00, but you held my 2014 taxes which are 7000.00. We received a certified letter telling us you will use my 2014 taxes to satisfy the 2012 debt. Why has this not happened and where is our money so that we can pay the 2012 tax amount? You keep sending us threating letters and there is no resolution on your part. Also you have held my refund since 03/15 and I expect you will add interest accured. What is the problem?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.
Please know that Just Answer is NOT affiliated with the IRS in any way, so I do not have access to your personal information. With that being said, I will answer your question based on the information you have provided.
The IRS is notorious for "one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing." In your instance, my best advice would be to telephone the IRS at the number provided on the notice advising you that your 2014 taxes will be used to offset your 2012 liability, and request the correct amount of tax that is owed for 2012 AFTER applying your 2014 refund amount. Once you speak to an IRS representative, he/she should be able to "connect the dots."
Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb