ShawnA
ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Experience:  CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
15641319

My tax accountant made a mistake. She used another customer

Customer Question

hi,
my tax accountant made a mistake. She used another customer "John Doe's" account for my electronic tax withdraw. So I sent in 10k for my tax return and IRS also took 10k from john doe's account. So IRS sent me back a check of 10k for overpayment. Now my accountant has found the mistake, she ask me to deposit this 10k check from IRS and write a check of 10k to John Doe basically giving him the money back. Is this the proper way of resolving it? I am afraid that after receiving my 10k, John Doe might send correction to IRS so IRS also returns him 10k, then say I owe them 10k. And I am left holding the bag and I have to sue John Doe. Would it be more proper for my tax account to work it out with IRS instead of me working out with John Doe? What is the most formal and legal way of handling this case?
Category: Tax
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. Retired CPA
Get her to outline the plan in writing.
Confirm yourself with the irs that you are paid in full
THEN cut her a check Boot him. Her.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
>>> how do confirm with IRS that I am paid in full? is there a specific # ***** call or can I check on their website?
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
I'll offer you a call.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
There are a few ways
Telephone call ( not the best)
Local IRS office better.
Certified return receipt letter to the IRS.
Best. Lester from cpa as well as letter of indemnification that in the event of any errors penalties she will pay as well as all legal costs. Have letter notarized when she signs.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
I have a different answer.
The tax preparer needs to take personal and professional responsibility here...
If you have sent your check in to IRS, this should be the end of your obligation....
DO not deposit the check. Send it back to IRS with a letter telling them that the preparer made the mistake.... (or have the preparer do so).
If anyone writes a check to the other person it should be the tax preparer or IRS.
You should not be forced to deal with this other client at all. This will only complicate things, and there will be no clear paper trail, as it relates to your obligation to IRS and his obligation to IRS.
There are two separate sets of obligations and relationships (1)Your obligation to IRS and your business relationship with the tax preparer, and (2) the other person's relationship with the tax preparer and his obligation to IRS ...
The two should not be commingled.
You need to force the tax preparer to be accountable here ... rather than the preparer taking the path of least resistance by forcing a relationship that SHOULDN'T exist ... between you and this other person.
Not only is this a breach of client confidentiality, the preparer is shirking their professional responsibiity.
Let me know if you have questions ...
Lane
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
As I stated originally while there are several options the best is to have the CPA handle the resolution.