Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Does the IRS call clients wanting information. Er have files

Customer Question

Does the IRS call clients wanting information. Er have files and got a refund. I am afraid we are being scammed. We have a number to call thwm back.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Your intuition is good.
IRS does not call people in their homes.
As a matter of fact IRS has published SEVEAL warnings about these phone scams.
YOU can see one of those at this IRS web site:
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Tax-Scams-Consumer-Alerts
From there:
"An aggressive and sophisticated phone scam targeting taxpayers, including recent immigrants, has been making the rounds throughout the country. Callers claim to be employees of the IRS, but are not. These con artists can sound convincing when they call."
Note that the IRS will NEVER...
1) call to demand immediate payment, nor will the agency call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill;
2) demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe;
3) require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card;
4) ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone; or
5) threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying
Please do not waste your time or worry. DO not call them. And if they call and you answer, tell them that your are reporting them the the FTC, the local authorities and the IRS.
This IS a scam.
Let me know if you have questions...
Lane
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the answer. I think the world is being scammed by these %^$&^@#. I am ugly and persistent for these people.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
What some do is simply block that number from calling.
But yes, they are crominals of the worst kind - playing on people's fears.
Hope this has helped...
lane
If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or smiley faces on your screen)… That’s the ONLY WAY I'm credited for the work here.