Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

A company reported incorrect taxable income on form 1099-INT

Customer Question

A company reported incorrect taxable income on form 1099-INT for 2013 to the IRS. The IRS wrote me stating I owed additional taxes. I wrote the IRS and explained the situation. They said to send a corrected 1099 to them. I have contacted the company and requested a corrected 1099-INT but have little faith that the company will respond. What should I do?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.
Is the company which issued the incorrect 1099-INT still in business? If so, rather than write to them, I would call and ask to speak with someone in their accounting department. Explain that you’re disputing the amount shown on your 1099. Ask the employee to explain the amount shown so you can match the information with your records. If you still don’t agree, request a correction and offer to provide your documents as proof of your dispute.
What documentation have you sent to the IRS to prove that the 1099-INT you received is incorrect?
Please provide additional information so I can assist you further.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or wish to provide additional information. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me.
Best regards,
Barb