Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

I moved from Illinois to Missouri last August and have not

Customer Question

I moved from Illinois to Missouri last August and have not registered my car here yet due to the personal property tax. Since I still own my house in Illinois, I'm hesitant to register here, however prefer to be a good citizen. My fear is when I tell them I moved here last August they won't grant me a waiver for the 2014 property tax and I'll owe for 2014 and 2015. Help?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 1 year ago.
Hi

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years and I'll be helping you today.

This is actually a multi part question, so I will try to tie all of the "ends" together for you.

Keeping your family home in IL is no problem. However, just having a home there does NOT mean you can still file as a resident of IL

According to the IRS, everyone has a "tax home" and primary residence. Fortunately for most of us, they are 1 and the same

In your scenario however, your primary resident is different than your tax home.

Please see page 3 of pub 463 in the middle column entitle "Tax Home"

Since your tax home is different than your primary residence, you are correct that you will lose the property tax credit for your home in IL

I know that many people believe that by not changing their driver's license, they can still remain a resident of the previous state.

However,the address on your driver's license is just a small piece of the picture. when it comes to filing your taxes.The bigger questions are: where do you work.....where are you registered to vote, what state tax is withheld on your W2,etc.

If you have any questions, please post them here and I'll be notified.

If this has answered your question, please take the moment to rate positive so that I may be given credit for working with you today.

It is only through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge

Thank you for choosing justanswer