Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I have a delinquent property tax situation with my commercial

Customer Question

Hello! I have a delinquent property tax situation with my commercial building in Midway, Utah. I am 5 years delinquent & scheduled to have my property auctioned on May 28th! I now have a buyer for my property & it will be under contract as of the 20th (nothing like cutting it close!!) I will have the funds to pay the back taxes when the down payment is made,hopefully, on the 20th. Is there anything else that I can do now to possibly extend the date? or? I'm just very worried that if I don't have some sort of backup plan that I will lose my building & the sale of the property. I appreciate your time and any advise that you could give. Thanks so much. Lynette Hatch
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Lynette.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you with your tax question today.
My best advice would be to visit the Wasatch County Treasurer's office as soon as you have the signed contract and deposit on May 20, and request that they postpone the sale scheduled for May 28. They may be willing to work with you if you show them proof that the property will be sold which will guarantee that the delinquent taxes will be paid.
The phone number for the Wasatch County Treasurer's office is(###) ###-####and the hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Please let me know if I can assist you further.
Thank you and best regards,
Barb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Barbara! Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately I've already been that route and was told that there was nothing they could do that they don't offer extensions. I told him that I had a buyer but it didn't seem to make a difference at all. I would certainly think that the pending sale would sway this decision but I'm very worried that that will not be the case. Is there possibly a legal avenue that I could pursue if everything doesn't go as planned on the 20th? Thanks again Barbara! Lynette
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Lynette,
You actually have until right before the sale begins on 5/28 to pay the full amount that is due. Of course, there will be additional fees (advertising the sale, etc.) that will be added to the actual delinquent tax amount.
You may want to consult with a local attorney and explain the situation to him. He may be able to file a motion/petition to postpone the sale date because of the pending sale.
Best regards,
Barb