Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

How should i fill out my W4? I am married, filing jointly.

Customer Question

how should i fill out my W4? I am married, filing jointly. I make significantly more than my husband. How many allowances should I file? And should I file at the married but at higher single rate?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any dependents? If not, you can claim 2 allowances. If there are dependents, add the number of dependents to the number to the 2. It is usually better to file married filing jointly. In some cases, it is better for a married couple to file married filing separately. You can refer to the following webpage for more detailed information relating to filing jointly or separately. If you live in a community property state, in my opinion, it is more of a hassle than note to file married filing separately. http://www.efile.com/married-filing-separately-tax-filing-status/ Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.