Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

On IRS form 1098, Mortgage Interest Statement, my Federal Identification

Customer Question

On IRS form 1098, Mortgage Interest Statement, my Federal Identification Number appears. But my SSN is rendered as XXX-XX-XXXX and the mortgage company advised that a form 1098 with a full or even partial SSN can not be provided. My tax preparer will not accept the 1098 without a SSN for my 2014 taxes. Should the Federal Identification Number be sufficient for filing? Can I look up the FIN to confirm it is associated with me? If not, who can look up the FIN for confirmation?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Generally the federal identification number listed on the 1098 is the bank or mortgage lender and not your FEIN. According to IRS regulations, they are only required to report mortgage interest received from the "Payer of Record" on the loan. The lender reports mortgage interest received in the name and Social Security Number of the first person listed on the billing statement, who is also known as the primary borrower. If you are the payer of record and are personally obligated to repay the loan then you can claim the 1098.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My partner Katherine is the first person listed on the 1098. I am the second person listed. I wish to take the mortgage deduction for 2014. Is it possible for me to do that?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
If you are on the loan and you are responsible for the debt too, then you can claim the amount that you actually paid.If this is your main or second home and you are obligated for the debt secured by the home, yes, you can claim the amount you paid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Understood. My tax preparer rejects the form 1098 because the SSN is rendered as XXX-XX-XXXX and the mortgage company will not provide a 1098 with a full or partial SSN. How can I use this 1098 to claim the deduction?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
If you paid the amounts, show your preparer the amounts you paid. They may require a copy of the loan agreement that shows you are listed too.The mortgage company does not need to report more than one payer. If your business is the owner, you personally cannot claim the interest as that would be claimed by the business.I spoke about business because you used the term "partner" and I am not sure what you mean exactly by "partner".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I was not precise. I meant my domestic partner. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** not certain. Yes you can claim your actual payments. The lender just puts the first listed person on the 1098. If you are on the loan too and this is your home you should have the interest on your Schedule A.You are most welcome.My goal is to give you excellent service.Your positive rating is thanks enough
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you need more assistance.