ShawnA
ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Experience:  CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
15641319

The State of R.I. is demanding back taxes from 1994 (originally

Customer Question

the State of R.I. is demanding back taxes from 1994 (originally $1,000). can they do this? I do owe $ from that year, but with interest & penalties they now demand about $10,000. but are willing to settle for about 1/2. I followed what the Courts told me and paid child support, then IRS and there was nothing left after as I was divorced and my ex took all my savings. suddenly, this past year I got a statement from them that I owed this back money. it doesn't SEEM FAIR... is it?
Brian Deery
Category: Tax
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
This sounds a bit crazy (owe 1,000 and 20 years later owe 10,000 due to penalties and interest. We should speak by telephone. I will send you an offer.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.
According to the facts you submitted they CAN do this. I offered a telephone call to see if there was anything (based on my questions) that could help reduce this.
If you have other questions please ask now or later and I'll be happy to respond. I’ll be notified (even if I leave).
If not PLEASE rate this answer so I can be freed to help another person.
Even after you rate my response we can continue to chat here at no extra cost to you.
As I strive for quality vs. quantity, I find I can only handle a limited number of questions at a single time.