Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Are tax help agencies a good choice to go with if 40K is owed

Customer Question

Are tax help agencies a good choice to go with if 40K is owed in back taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
I would tread very carefully .. there are some good firms but if I were going to put a number on it, I would say that 80% make claims that may be unrealistic and are overpriced.I would go to the state BAR association site in your state and look for tax attorneys (attorneys that have an LLM - Master of laws in taxation) ... J.D, LLM
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Here's an example of someone that is on the move, but not part of the whole "TAX RESOLUTION" business that has grown upBullivant Houser Bailey announces that Laura Takasumi has joined the Portland office as a tax, business and estate planning associate attorney. Takasumi has experience in corporate law and exempt organizations. She earned her J.D., LL.M. in taxation, and B.A. from the University of Washington. She is admitted to practice law in Oregon and Washington
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Here's a link to Oregon's state bar referral system: https://www.osbar.org/public/ris/ an excellent service for find the right lawyer AND they have a Modest Means program:Oregon lawyers created the Modest Means Program to help moderate-income Oregonians find affordable legal assistance. Eligibility for the program is based upon type of legal matter, applicant income and assets, and availability of participating lawyers. If you qualify for the program, the Modest Means lawyer will charge you a reduced rate for any additional legal work provided to you beyond the initial consultation.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Second best would be an option to work with CPA's ... HOWEVER ... be sure that they have experience in this area ... offers in compromise, etc. ... And again, beware of those 'TAX RESOLUTION" companies ... I would speak with a couple of independent tax attorneys or CPA's first to get a feel for your options.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any questions at all Lane
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the referrals and information, Lane. I need to know what happened in this process of getting to you and WHO took the credit card payment? I got NOTHING initially, but saw that my credit card had been charged, and is now in dispute. The process is not efficient and makes one think money just taken without a response. Please explain this to my satisfaction.Jack H
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From Handel on the Law I was whisked over to JustAnswer.com and expected to make a monthly payment for membership, without my knowledge or permission. Very deceitful maneuver. Who is responsible for this practice?JH
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
I am an approved expert user (one whose credentials are verified) here at JustAnswer.com.I have no Idea how or exactly how the pricing issue are handled.My guess is that Bill has approved of the service because we get results.You will, however, have to deal with customer service around pricing, and other issues such as membershipI just saw the questions pup up on the question list here..We are not allowed to deal with customer service and other such issues ... here's the customer service number:http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
I CAN tell you the following:
I do not receive ANY of what you pay JUSTANSWER.COM unless you rate my answer positively... otherwise THEY keep the moneyIf this HAS helped, I would appreciate a rating of 3 (OK) or better. (Excellent is ideal)… That’s how I'm credited for the work here.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have questions ...Lane
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Lane. I have no problem with your expert advice and is appreciated. There IS a big problem with this website and how nothing was explained before sending me over to this website from Handel. I have asked for a refund but has nothing to do with you.JH
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
That DOES mean that I will not get paid.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
but if you feel that they've done something that's not fair... I have a problem with that too ... this site simply links people who need help wiith experts that have been verified ... i NO idea about the relationship thhey have with Bill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay have NO problem rating you very favorably!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the site won't let me rate, it is blackened out. Unreal...
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Amazing ... they've just included a box that says "Im ready to be rated" does his help?
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi, just checking back to see if you were ever able to rate ... Would appreciate ...
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Try now?