Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

My parents are deceased, they left a home to be divided among

Customer Question

My parents are deceased, they left a home to be divided among 6 siblings in 2006. I made sure my father's taxes got paid, and I have been paying rent to live there sometimes. Now I received a delinquent tax statement summary...in my deceased dad's name. Am I liable to pay thse back late taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,They will certainly let you ... allthough if this isn't property tax (where the house could potentially be sold to satisfy the taxes) and the estate has already been probated, you should HAVe to pay his income taxes ... can you tell me more about wjat kind of tax we're talking about?
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the typo ... YOU SHOULD NOT have to py any income taxes he may have left unpaid... again if you can tell me (1) What kind of taxes we're talking about (2) whether the probate estate was closed and (3) Why you had to pay rent (just to help me understand the context) ... I can give youi a much more specific answer.. Let me know ... I'll be hereLane
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the typo ... YOU SHOULD NOT have to pay any income taxes he may have left unpaid... again if you can tell me (1) What kind of taxes we're talking about (2) whether the probate estate was closed and (3) Why you had to pay rent (just to help me understand the context) ... I can give youi a much more specific answer.. Let me know ... I'll be hereLane