Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

Joined the US Navy in Jan. of 1959 separated in Dec of 1962.

Customer Question

Joined the US Navy in Jan. of 1959 separated in Dec of 1962. Went into the USNR for a career & retired after 22 more, total of 26 years. While on active duty we were always told never to pay taxes on this pay since all the time we served were being taxed. Is this not being taxed twice for serving your countey?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Are you asking about being taxed on your RETIREMENT?
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Military retirement pay based on age or length of service is considered taxable income for Federal income taxes. however, military disability retirement pay and Veterans' benefits, including service-connected disability pension payments, may be partially or fully excluded from taxable income. You can read more about that here: http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Home/Benefit_Library/Federal_Benefits_Page/Federal_Taxes_on_Veterans_Disability_or_Military_Retirement_Pensions.html?serv=147
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
OK, I still don’t see you coming into the chat here … I’ll move us to “Question and Answer” mode … (We can still continue our discussion there, just not in real-time chat) … This way you won’t be charged for additional chat time and we can continue the dialogue.If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a rating of 3 (OK) or better. (Excellent is ideal)… That’s how I'm credited for the work here. … However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, be sure to come back here, so you won’t have to pay for an additional question