Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I was sent to an collection agency for unpaid state taxes from

I was sent to an collection agency for unpaid state taxes from 2010, and im not sure where to begin!

Lane :

Lane :

Fiist.. Do you have your return from 2010?

Lane :

From there, for example. they say the folowing:

Lane : <table border="0">

Common Tax Problems

"I missed the filing deadline."
If you have the information ready to file your return, you can file your tax return online for free - using iFile for personal income taxes or bFile for sales and use tax and withholding tax returns. If you need assistance, call us at one of the numbers listed below under Contact Information.

"I haven't filed returns for one or more reporting periods."
You should file the missing returns right away before we contact you. Once we begin our investigation of a case involving multiple returns that haven't been filed, we may have to assess fraud penalties or refer your case to the Attorney General's Office for criminal prosecution. File online using iFile for personal income taxes or bFile for business taxes. You should file all of the missing returns at the same time so that we can offset overpayments against the underpayments and develop a true picture of the total liability. Also, out of statute income tax refunds can be applied to offset simultaneously filed balance-due income tax returns. If you need assistance, please call us at one of the numbers listed below under Contact Information.

Lane :

If you need additional assistance or have questions about your return you may contact Taxpayer Service at(NNN) NNN-NNNNfrom Central Maryland or at 1-800-MD TAXES from elsewhere. Assistance is available Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Lane :

Quite hinestly, it's rare that they would use a collection service fortaxes only three years old

Lane :

Can you tell me a little more about what communications you've had from them?

Lane :

I still don't see you coming into the chat session, so I'll move us to the "Q&A" mode. … Maybe that will help … (We can still continue a dialogue there, just not in real-time chat, as we can here)

Lane :

But first, let me give you some general information: (1) It's not uncommon for states to send a tax bill without any information other than your having earnings if you didn't file for that year... for example, you may have had enough withheld to cover the taxes, but because you didn't file OR they never received a form, they just assume that you earned th money and that's it... you have to file (or re-file) to prove to the that they actually owe YOU money, for example) ... (2) Even if tey did send this out to a collector, the fastest way to make it go away is to get with MD department of taxation directly

Lane :

I still dont see you here, so I'll move us now... but PLEASE, let me know if you have any questions at all..... I'll be there

Lane :

Lane

... just checking back in HERE, as I never saw you come into the chat.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

And again, if you have any questions just reply here, so you won't be charged for another question.

Lane

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So theoretically if I send my 2010 tax return in again that should resolve this issue?

Yes, inmy experience that's the solution about 80% of the time.

Here are the addresses if you want to walk them into one of their field offices.

They'll stamp them received AND give you a receipt:

LocationCounties Served
Annapolis Get directions
Revenue Administration Center
110 Carroll Street
Annapolis, MD 21411
  • Anne Arundel
  • Queen Anne's
Baltimore Get directions
State Office Bldg.
301 W Preston Street,
Room 206
Baltimore, MDNNN-NN-NNNN/td>
  • Baltimore City
Cumberland Get directions
112 Baltimore St., 2nd floor
Cumberland, MDNNN-NN-NNNN/td>
  • Allegany
  • Garrett
Elkton Get directions
Upper Chesapeake Corporate Center
103 Chesapeake Blvd, Suite D
Elkton, MDNNN-NN-NNNN/td>
  • Cecil
  • Harford
  • Kent
Frederick Get directions
Courthouse/Multiservice Center
100 W. Patrick St. Room 2110
Frederick, MDNNN-NN-NNNN/td>
  • Carroll
  • Frederick
Hagerstown Get directions
Professional Arts Bldg.
One South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, MDNNN-NN-NNNN/td>
  • Washington
Landover Get directions
Treetops Bldg.
8181 Professional Place, Suite 101
Landover, MDNNN-NN-NNNN/td>
  • Prince George's
Salisbury Get directions
Sea Gull Square
1306 South Salisbury Blvd., Suite 182
Salisbury, MD 21801
  • Caroline
  • Dorchester
  • Somerset
  • Talbot
  • Wicomico
  • Worcester
Towson Get directions
Hampton Plaza
300 E. Joppa Road, Plaza Level 1A
Towson, MD 21286
  • Baltimore County
Upper Marlboro Get directions
Prince George's County Courthouse
14735 Main Street, Room 083B
Upper Marlboro, MDNNN-NN-NNNN/td>
  • Anne Arundel
  • Calvert
  • Prince George's
Waldorf Get directions
1036 Saint Nicholas Drive, Suite 202
Waldorf, MD 20603
  • Calvert
  • Charles
  • St. Mary's
Wheaton Get directions
Westfield Wheaton South Building
11002 Veirs Mill Rd, Suite 408
Wheaton, MD 20902
  • Howard
  • Montgomery