Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

Do you know if tickets to sporting events can be deducted by

Do you know if tickets to sporting events can be deducted by a self employed person that does not attend the events/games?

Would PSL's be eligible for Section 179 write off?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 months ago.

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.

Robin D. :

If you give a customer tickets to a theater performance or sporting event and you do not go with the customer to the performance or event, you have a choice. You can treat the cost of the tickets as either a gift expense or an entertainment expense, whichever is to your advantage.

Robin D. :

You can change your treatment of the tickets at a later date by filing an amended return. Generally, an amended return must be filed within 3 years from the date the original return was filed or within 2 years from the time the tax was paid, whichever is later.

If you go with the customer to the event, you must treat the cost of the tickets as an entertainment expense. You cannot choose, in this case, to treat the cost of the tickets as a gift expense.

Robin D. :

A personal seat license, or PSL, is a paid license that entitles the holder to the right to buy season tickets for a certain seat in a stadium.

To qualify for the section 179 deduction, your property must meet all the following requirements.

• It must be eligible property.

• It must be acquired for business use.

• It must have been acquired by purchase.

Robin D. :

The PSL would not be tangible personal property.

Robin D. :

If you were using the "PSL" to refer to anything other than Personal Seat Lic ( I was thinking still about the porting tickets when I answered) then please let me know before you rate.

Robin D. :

My goal is to give you excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic request me again.

Robin D. :

If you wish to print this CHAT you can hover over the SHARE button after you rate and PRINT is one of the options you are given.

Robin D. :

Do not call the expense anything other then the entertainment or gift as any audit would disallow under those terms. It really does matter.

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.