Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My mortgage was mod under the hamp program in 2011 and 90k

My mortgage was mod under the hamp program in 2011 and 90k principal balance was forgiven by lender and they issue a 1099C but the lender which says I am personally liable for debt ? How the mortgage forgiveness act works to wipe those : supposedly taxes i should pay otherwise?

Megan C :

Hello, and welcome. Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help you

Megan C :

You do not have to pay tax on the cancellation of debt related to your primary residence

Customer:

what do i need to do

Megan C :

You fill out form 982, check box 1e and write the amount of the canceled debt on line 2. That's all you have to do with the form.

Customer:

thank you,

Megan C :

you're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with tonight?

Customer:

no that!

Megan C :

Okay great. If you would, please rate my response positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks for your question. I see we got disconnected from chat. Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today