Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

good morning, several weeks ago i sent in my payment to

good morning,

several weeks ago i sent in my payment to the IRS for tax year 2012 in sum of $20,000 plus. However, i had a mess up at the bank and the check was not honored by my bank as they made a mistake on my linked accounts. The IRS tried twice to collect the funds from my account and they were returned. I went to the back to confront the issue and they corrected the issue and apologized for the mistake. They went as far to write me a letter stating what happen. So, now i have bounced a check with the IRS. While at the bank I went ahead and had a certified check made out to the amount owed. However. should I wait to hear from them or should i send in the monies with the bank letter?

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
Go ahead and send your payment do not wait to hear from the IRS. Send a copy of the bank letter along with a request to abate any fees or penalties for the late payment.

Robin D. :

If you receive a notice from the IRS (that is a possiblity) call the number on the notice and let them know about your sending the payment and the letter copy at that time.

Customer:

for some reason my account think i should wait but im not feeling good about that advice. He feels the damage has been done

Robin D. :

I would not wait.

Robin D. :

I see no reason to wait at this time.

Customer:

what address do i send the check to and who attention. im concerned it may get lost

Customer:

should i go to an IRS office near my area

Robin D. :

Send it certified and you would send the payment to one of the following depending on your specific earning situation:
http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-%26-Self-Employed/Where-to-Send-Your-Individual-Tax-Account-Balance-Due-Payments

Robin D. :

You can certainly go to the office.

Customer:

just to confirm send in the bank letter along with the check with a letter from me requesting fees and penalties be removed

Robin D. :

Yes, if you are going to mail. If you are going to go to your local office then have a copy of the bank letter to take with you (retain that original)

Customer:

thanks for the help . I hope the IRS is understanding:)

Robin D. :

They can be

Robin D. :

You are most welcome.
Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Customer:

have a great day

Robin D. :

thank you

Robin D. :

I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.
You will find the request feature when you come back under your MY QUESTIONS section.