Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I filed my 2012 Form 1040 (under extension) on 9 Aug 2013.

I filed my 2012 Form 1040 (under extension) on 9 Aug 2013. I applied the refund I was due to my 2013 estimated taxes.

Can you please tell me what date this refund would be considered credited as a 2013 estimated payment. Thank you!

Megan C :

Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you today

Megan C :

I will say first that we are not the IRS, and therefore I would not have access to your records to give you an answer with certainty.

Megan C :

Your payment would be credited 6-8 weeks after you filed your tax return. It takes 6-8 weeks for returns to process.

Megan C :

You can contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to find out the date the payment was applied.

Customer:

Thank you. XXXXX calculated by 15 Sep estimated tax payment I considered the refund amount as already being a portion of the estimated taxes I'd paid. Sounds like I need to find out exactly when then was credited against by 2013 estimated payments. Is that correct?

Megan C :

That would be correct. The turnaround may have been quicker than 6 weeks. You would have to find out directly from them, though

Megan C :

I would hate to speculate and tell you wrong. I can only ballpark it.

Customer:

That makes sense. Is it fair to say a similar situation would exist with a state refund and state estimated taxes?

Megan C :

Yes, that would be about the same. And you could contact your state directly to get information on that.

Customer:

Thanks very much. That answered my questions. Have a great night!