Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

While vacationing out of state, my wife suffered a stroke.

While vacationing out of state, my wife suffered a stroke. She was treated locally and then transferred via air ambulance to our home city to undergo acute care rehab. Can I deduct the cost of the air ambulance as a medical expense?

Megan C :

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you today

Megan C :

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's condition! I hope she's doing better.

Megan C :

According to publication 502, ambulance services are qualified medical expenses

Megan C :

as such, you can deduct the cost of the air ambulance service.

Megan C :

You can verify HERE

Customer:

Thank you. To be clear, there were adequate medicle facilities in the city where she was being treated, but since it was not near our home, the decision was made to transfer to a facility that is near our home. Does this qualify as necessary transportation?

Megan C :

Yes, you can still deduct it. It was medically necessary for her to be moved...she could not go on her own. You can deduct this as an expense.

Tim,

I see we were having technical difficulties in chat. You can still reply to me, using the button below. If you have received the information you need, please rate me positively using the rating feature along the bottom of your screen. This ensures that I get credit for assisting you today.

Thanks again, and feel free to continue our dialog below.