Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My fiance is required to attend a work meeting out of state

My fiance is required to attend a work meeting out of state next month for a week. We do not live together and he has 3 dogs. Since I am unable to babysit due to my work schedule he has to board the dogs.

My question is: Can he claim the pet boarding as a deduction for business expenses since the only reason he is boarding them is due to a work function? If so does it have to be with a business or can it be with a friend that will charge him the going rate if not less? This expense could cost around $1,000.00.

Thank you.

Lane :

Lane :

PLEASE don't shoot the messenger here, but OWNED pets for this purposes (being required to travel for work or business) are generally not deductible; ... You can deduct most pet care expenses for formally fostered pets ... If you dedicate a specific portion of your home to caring for fostered pets for a nonprofit organization, some of your living expenses may be deductible. ... But again, In general, you can not claim a tax deduction for a pet that you own, even if that pet was rescued through a nonprofit. Once a pet is no longer in the possession of a nonprofit, you are not technically donating to the nonprofit by caring for the animal. The IRS would generally consider it fraudulent to deduct care expenses for a pet that you own.

Lane :

...Except in special circumstances. It is possible to deduct care expenses for owned pets if you yourself operate a nonprofit organization. But beware: simply having a lot of rescued pets does not qualify you as a nonprofit. You must gain full nonprofit accreditation to be able to claim the expenses for your pets.

Customer:

Ok, thank you. I was not sure if he was able to use this as a business deduction since he is unable to get out of going to this work meeting.

Lane :

Sorry, hopefully having all the facts will help ya "see around some corners ... just for documsntation, here's another article

Lane :

No Deductions

id="section-2" class="section">

While you may consider your pet to be one of your children, the IRS disagrees. You cannot claim your pet as a deduction for tax purposes, and, except for special rules for service animals for the disabled, you cannot deduct pet expenses on your income tax returns. Although, as a pet owner, you may incur extra costs for your pet when you travel for business, you cannot include those costs as business expenses for tax purposes.

Customer:

Ok great thanks!

Lane :

You're very welcome

Lane :

If this has helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better (excellent, is ideal)… That's the only I get credit for the work.

However, if you need more on this, please come back here, so you won't be charged for another question.

Customer:

ok will do. Thank you very much

Thanks for the rating Kristen!

Let me know if I can help again.

You can ask for me here:

Lane

Thanks again,

Lane