Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Juris Doctorate, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986

My fiance is required to attend a work meeting out of state

My fiance is required to attend a work meeting out of state next month for a week. We do not live together and he has 3 dogs. Since I am unable to babysit due to my work schedule he has to board the dogs.

My question is: Can he claim the pet boarding as a deduction for business expenses since the only reason he is boarding them is due to a work function? If so does it have to be with a business or can it be with a friend that will charge him the going rate if not less? This expense could cost around $1,000.00.

Thank you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Lane :

Lane :

PLEASE don't shoot the messenger here, but OWNED pets for this purposes (being required to travel for work or business) are generally not deductible; ... You can deduct most pet care expenses for formally fostered pets ... If you dedicate a specific portion of your home to caring for fostered pets for a nonprofit organization, some of your living expenses may be deductible. ... But again, In general, you can not claim a tax deduction for a pet that you own, even if that pet was rescued through a nonprofit. Once a pet is no longer in the possession of a nonprofit, you are not technically donating to the nonprofit by caring for the animal. The IRS would generally consider it fraudulent to deduct care expenses for a pet that you own.

Lane :

...Except in special circumstances. It is possible to deduct care expenses for owned pets if you yourself operate a nonprofit organization. But beware: simply having a lot of rescued pets does not qualify you as a nonprofit. You must gain full nonprofit accreditation to be able to claim the expenses for your pets.

Customer:

Ok, thank you. I was not sure if he was able to use this as a business deduction since he is unable to get out of going to this work meeting.

Lane :

Sorry, hopefully having all the facts will help ya "see around some corners ... just for documsntation, here's another article

Lane :

No Deductions

While you may consider your pet to be one of your children, the IRS disagrees. You cannot claim your pet as a deduction for tax purposes, and, except for special rules for service animals for the disabled, you cannot deduct pet expenses on your income tax returns. Although, as a pet owner, you may incur extra costs for your pet when you travel for business, you cannot include those costs as business expenses for tax purposes.

Customer:

Ok great thanks!

Lane :

You're very welcome

Lane :

If this has helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better (excellent, is ideal)… That's the only I get credit for the work.

However, if you need more on this, please come back here, so you won't be charged for another question.

Customer:

ok will do. Thank you very much

Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience: Juris Doctorate, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the rating Kristen!

Let me know if I can help again.

You can ask for me here:

Lane

Thanks again,

Lane

Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS