Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.

Our tax home is in Colorado. My wife accepted a good healthcare

Our tax home is in Colorado. My wife accepted a good healthcare job in Virginia. She is a full-time employee of a hospital, and expects to be there for two years. Her job began January 2, 2013. Are her apartment rent and utilities tax deductible as a cost of employment? She is a PICU manager.

Arthur Rubin :

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Arthur Rubin :

I'm afraid your wife's tax home is now in Virginia, so that her expenses there are not deductible.

Arthur Rubin :

Unless her job was expected to last less than 1-2 years (for different definitions of "tax home"), her tax home is at her new job. Your tax home might still be in Colorado if you have a job there.