Lane
Lane, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986

For married filers where I am covered by a company plan (401k)

For married filers where I am covered by a company plan (401k) but my spouse is not, can my souse and I deduct our full IRS contribution(10,000) or can only my wife deduct her IRS contribution (5000.00)? (Assumption: Joint gross income in 2013: 120,000.00, My wife and I contribute 10,000 to IRA) thanks
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Lane :

Hi, for 2013,

• $5,500 ($6,500 if you’re age 50 or older), or

• your taxable compensation for the year. Now, on the deductibility?

Lane :

You can both contribute, but only your spouse can deduct

Lane :

To frill down just a bit more ... heres the table entitled

Like Print

2013 IRA Deduction Limits - Effect of Modified AGI on Deduction if You Are Covered by a Retirement Plan at Work
Lane :

If Your Filing Status Is...

And Your Modified AGI Is...Then You Can Take...
single or
head of household

$59,000 or less

a full deduction up to the amount of your contribution limit.

more than $59,000 but less than $69,000

a partial deduction.

$69,000 or more

no deduction.

married filing jointly orqualifying widow(er)

$95,000 or less

more than $95,000 but less than $115,000

a partial deduction.

$115,000 or more

no deduction.

married filing separately

less than $10,000

a partial deduction.

$10,000 or more

no deduction.

If you file separately and did not live with your spouse at any time during the year, your IRA deduction is determined under the "Single" filing status.
Lane :

.

Lane :

An this one is entitled ...

if You Are NOT Covered by a Retirement Plan at Work
Lane :

If Your Filing Status Is...

single, head of household, or qualifying widow(er)

any amount

married filing jointly or separately with a spouse who is not covered by a plan at work

any amount

married filing jointly with a spouse who iscovered by a plan at work

$178,000 or less

more than $178,000 but less than $188,000

a partial deduction.

$188,000 or more

no deduction.

married filing separately with a spouse who is covered by a plan at work

less than $10,000

a partial deduction.

$10,000 or more

no deduction.

Lane :

So you can see that since you are at 120000, you are over the DEDUCTION limit; $115,000

Lane :

But for your wife, since the covered spouse is under 178,000, her contribution is full deductible

Lane :

And, again the limit this year on AMOUNT contributed is 5,500 (6,500 if you are over age 50)

Lane :

To recap, you can CONTRIBUTE 11,000 total (13,000, if you're both over 50) and the wife's IRA based on the information you provided would be fully deductible

Lane :

One final piece here; Note that the income number that's used is MAGI (Modified Adjusted Gross Income), rather than Gross Income

Lane :

To arrive at your modified AGI, start with your adjusted gross income and then add back the following items:

• Any deduction you claimed for a regular contribution to a traditional IRA.

• Any deduction you claim for student loan interest or qualified tuition and related expenses.

• Any income you excluded because of the foreign earned income exclusion.

• Any exclusion or deduction you claimed for foreign housing.

• Any interest income from series EE bonds that you were able to exclude because you paid qualified higher education expenses.

• Any employer-paid adoption expense you excluded.

• Any amount claimed as domestic production activities deduction.

Note that you are not required to add back any contribution you made to an employer plan such as a 401k plan. If you are running up against the limit for modified AGI, one way to reduce that number is XXXXX make deductible contributions to an employer plan.

Lane :

That should be everything

Lane :

QUestions?

Lane :

I still don't see you coming into the chat session, so I'll move us to the "Q&A" mode. … Maybe that will help … (We can still continue a dialogue there, just not in real-time chat, as we can here)

Lane :

If this has helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better (excellent, is ideal)… That's the only I get credit for the work.

However, if you need more on this, please come back here, so you won't be charged for another question.

Lane :

Let me know if you have questions at all ...

Lane :

Lane

Lane, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience: Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Hi Sunny,

Good to see you here.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

Let me know

Lane