Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

hi I have question about how to organize my documents when

hi I have question about how to organize my documents when I amend my tax return before I send it ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Lane :

Hi How can I help?

Customer:

hi please I filled amend return so how I organize the forms when I send it

Lane :

I answered this question at 10:05 PM ... and went to bed some time after that ... then 20 minutes later you finally came back and answered my question about how i could .. (the only way I could possibly answer this is to know what te contents of your filing were - which forms, statements, etc) then you came back at 1:48 AM and rate me badly.

Lane :

I will be opting out now ...

Lane :

If you'd still like MY help you can ask for me personally, and I'll be glad t help ... but I will need to get additional detail from you to answer your question.

Lane :

The short answer, is (1) prepare the 1040X (amended return) and (2) attach any of the required schedules, that are (3) required by the instructions for that form.

Lane :

Here is a link to the form, it's instructions and other forms you may fund useful: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-1040X,-Amended-U.S.-Individual-Income-Tax-Return

Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
Attach all related schedules and forms (the ones that are changed because of the amending) behind your 140X in order of the sequence number located in the upper right hand corner of the schedule or form.
Attach only copies if 1099s or W2s that are relevent to the amendment and that have withholding.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

there is no form 140x ? and where is sequence number that you are talking about ?can clarify for me more please

Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.
1040X that was a little typo.
The sequence numbers are at top of each form that prints out. Usually when you print the tax return comes out in it's proper order anyway.
If you are doing the amended return by hand Assemble any schedules and forms behind your Form 1040X in the order of the "Attachment Sequence No." shown in the upper right hand corner of the schedule or form.

Remember, Form 1040X can be prepared using tax software, but cannot be e-filed. Once the amended return is complete, follow these steps to assemble it for mailing and for the taxpayer's records:
Print two copies of the federal amended return and, if there is a state return, print two copies of that form as well: one for your records and one to mail in.
You must (and spouse if Married Filing Jointly) sign and date the bottom of the second page of Form 1040X. Review the state return instructions for where to sign and where to mail the state return.
Attach all additional or corrected Form(s) W-2 or Form(s) 1099 you received after filing the original return. (Be sure you have included any additional federal income tax withheld.)
Attach any forms or schedules needed to explain the changes. Make sure the reason for amending the return is explained on Form 1040X, Part III.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

would I need to send the original return too ?

Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Hi, Looks like Robin's not on line now,

The answer is NO ... as Iread the instructions themselves, at the end of the instructions, (page 11) they Do NOT ask you to send in the return. I've underlined the applicable section.

Here;s what it says: (again from page 11 of the instructions for Foam 1040x)

Assembling Your Return

Assemble any schedules and forms behind Form 1040X in order
of the “Attachment Sequence No.” shown in the upper right
corner of the schedule or form. If you have supporting
statements, arrange them in the same order as the schedules or
forms they support and attach them last. Do not attach
correspondence or other items unless required to do so,

including a copy of your original return

.

Attach to the front of Form 1040X:
A copy of any Forms W-2, W-2c (a corrected Form W-2), and
2439 that support changes made on this return;
A copy of any Form W-2G and 1099-R that support changes
made on this return, but only if tax was withheld; and
A copy of any Forms 1042S, SSA-1042S, RRB-1042S, and
8288-A that support changes made on this return.
here's the instruction and form itself:
Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

If you are sending in the 1040X you are not required to send in a copy of the original, Sorry I missed you yesterday.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

it looks weir I send yesterday CPA and she prepared amended return and she asked me to send original one too with 1040x ???

Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.
You are not required to do that, it will not hurt to do it but it is not required. the IRS already has the first return in their system.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have problem that I have no w2 or proof of income to attach because my income comes from outside US and when I asked CPA told me that I dont need to attach any document ? is that correct ? just to be sure .

Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.
You should complete a substitute W2. you can do this by using Form 4852.
Use this url
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4852.pdf

You can fill it in by hand. Then make sure to retain any pay information from your employer that substantiates your wages (just in case the IRS were to ask you for info later).
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I told her she just answer me by that I dont need substitute w2 because my employer is foreign one , just tell me please , if this is incorrect I will lock for another CPA to fill amend return for me .

Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.
The wages are reported on the return. If a W2 is not used or issued (which would be the case as W2s are US documents and foreign employers do not issue them) then a substitute is used to show the employer name and address. It is merely used to document the payer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

just to be sure if I work for foreign employer and he is not issuing w2 form I have to submit 4852 form right ?

Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.
Yes you should. The form would show where the earnings cam from that are reported on the return.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Again CPA send me that "You do not need to submit form 4852 because you don't have US income. That is only for US wages, you have foreign earned income."

I am confused , she insists about that , she had 22 years in Tax issues ??

Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.
I have never sent in a return that had foreign earned income that I did not also submit a sub W2.
It is not a big deal. The foreign employer will not have a EIN because they are foreign but that part is just left blank.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I mean she needs fill this form right ? or as you said is not big deal in my case , because I would not like to be in trouble with IRS you know .

Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.
You would not be in trouble.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I need just to be sure she something about paystub do I need to have it ?

Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.
You need to retain and keep any and all copies of documentation from your employer that shows the income. It is not sent with a return but you need to be able to show that you were paid this income.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4