Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I havent paid taxes in 10 years but i want to make it right

I haven't paid taxes in 10 years but i want to make it right what should i do

Megan C :

Hi, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help you today

Customer:

hi

Megan C :

How are you today?

Customer:

im ok and you

Megan C :

The first thing you will need to do is file your taxes. I would recommend finding a professional in your area who can file all 10 years for you and that will charge you one fee for it all

Customer:

ok is this going to be a really expensive thing and will the government always charge penalties even if i didn't owe any taxes for those years and how far back will they go

Megan C :

If you don't owe taxes, then there is no penalty. They go as far back as you have not paid taxes. There is no statute of limitations if you have not filed. They only go back up to 6 years if you file

Customer:

will they work with me or do they set an amount and i will have to pay it even if i need lower payments

Megan C :

Oh yes they will definitely work with you and set you up payment plans that you can afford

Customer:

if my employer reports my taxes will they start checking on me

Megan C :

Well, eventually the IRS will see you aren't filing taxes. If your employer is reporting your taxes and they calculate you are due a refund, they probably won't say anything

Megan C :

But if you're due refunds you only get them for three years. Anything older than three years old is lost forever

Customer:

ok thank you very much you have been very helpful

Megan C :

I'm so glad I could help you. But don't worry - there's nothing to worry about if you're getting it lined out

Megan C :

So don't lose sleep. Take care of it, but don't let it worry you

Customer:

good advice

Megan C :

Thanks :-)

Megan C :

Anything else I can help you with tonight?