Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My Father recently passed and my Mother (in Oklahoma) wants

My Father recently passed and my Mother (in Oklahoma) wants to give me (in Iowa), a 50k portion of his life ins. for the purchase of my next home. My question is, if I just have her transfer the 50k to my account, will I be taxed heavily on my next tax return, or do i have to report it? How can I not get taxed badly. They all tell me to transfer the money in smaller increments, just hoping for a better simpler answer. I have a house i want to bid on at auction in two weeks and need the money fast.

Megan C :

Thanks for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Megan C :

This money is a gift and is NOT taxed

Megan C :

You will not be taxed on this...you don't even put the transfer on your tax return

Megan C :

However, your mother will need to fill out a gift tax return and report the gift, as it is over the annual $14,000 limit. However, she will not have to pay a gift tax unless she has gifted over $5 million during her lifetime

Megan C :

So, it sounds like this will be a totally tax free scenario.

Megan C :

The transfer can happen at any time, so feel free to transfer all the money now.

Megan C :

So, you have good news today - no taxes :-)

Customer:

thank you so much, big relief to me. was scared i would get hit for 10% on my next return

Megan C :

Nope...no hit

Megan C :

:-)

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If there's nothing else I can help you with, please rate my answer as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Megan C :

I mean, rate me positively using 3-5 stars/smileys located along the bottom of your screen