How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ill receive a 1099 for my contracting services for 2013. Are

This answer was rated:

I'll receive a 1099 for my contracting services for 2013. Are training expenses deductible and what percentage is deductible?

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.


Your 1099 will be included in the income section of Schedule C of form 1040. There you will also be able to deduct the expenses associated with producing that income. Most items are deductible in full. However, two items are limited. The first is meals. This is limited to 50% of actual cost. The second is education costs. Education costs incurred to gain a new job skill are not deductible while education (training) to maintain and improve those skills are deductible against the income. You can decide which education costs fall into which category but remember that if you are questioned, a tax auditor may disagree with your reasoning. The odds of being audited are rather small but you should document how you made your determination for future reference "just in case".

Customer: replied 2 years ago.



Thank you for your clear explanation. My case is definitively one in that I need to take the training to keep my current consulting job; the company that I'm currently working for under the 1099 arrangement, HP, is expecting that I become very proficient in the use of a software tool. I'm already proficient in the use of another similar tool; however, this tool doesn't meet HP's requirements for the job at hand.


Having said that; please tell me if in your judgement this case fits the criteria. To be sure I understood; the the tuition, that is $3000 is 100% deductible; isn't it?. What % is deductible for airfare and hotel?


I have a related question: What % of the payments I'm currently receiving under this 1099 arrangement would you recommend that I should be saving toward taxes?


My very best regards,



The tuition, airfare and hotel are 100% deductible on Schedule C. That is they serve to reduce your Schedule C net profit and your Self Employment tax (Schedule SE). Additionally, if the Schedule C shows a loss, that loss can be used to offset other income on the 1040 form.


As to estimating taxes: You will need to first estimate your net income from the activity. Then set aside 15% for Federal income tax, 15% for self employment tax, and 7% for state taxes. This is all based on the net business income shown at the end of Schedule C rather than the 1099. Estimated tax payments are made using form 1040ES which is available at the IRS web site I know it seems like a lot to set aside but it is better to have too much set aside than not enough. That is where many individuals get into a mess.


The Self Employment tax, in case you were not aware of this is for Social Security and Medicare taxes. These would normally be withheld by an employer. The employer would then match the amount withheld in sending in employment tax returns to the IRS. Since you are your own employer the government lets you do both.


If I can assist you further, please feel free to ask.

Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience: over 40 years experience in tax matters
CGCPA and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Excellent and timely information!


I updated your tip to $15.00 make sure you receive it!Smile


Best regards,



You are always welcome. Thank you for the bonus. Please feel free to return anytime I can assist you. If you want to speak to me personally start your question with FOR CGCPA only. Otherwise another expert will assist you.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience