Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My mother has had a cleaning woman for thirteen years who

My mother has had a cleaning woman for thirteen years who she pays about $60.00 a week. She has never withheld taxes. Should she have paid taxes and what should she do about it now if so?

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. I'm assuming that this cleaning lady came like once per week and had other clients

Megan C :

If so, she didn't work exclusively for your mother, therefore your mother is not her employer

Megan C :

She does NOT need to withhold taxes from her payment.

Megan C :

It's only when you have someone who is your employee - that works for you exclusively - that you have to withhold taxes.

Megan C :

The occasional cleaning lady or baby sitter does not need taxes withheld.

Megan C :

So, no worries here - you're aliright

Megan C :

Do you have any other questions?

Megan C :

If no further questions, please rate me positively so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

Thanks. I was worried when I read that if a cleaning woman is paid more than a certain amount a year it was necessary to withhold taxes. Apparently my mom's accountant did not ask her about this and it would be so difficult to go back over years of taxes which are each about 50 pages long!

Megan C :

Yes she should be fine. $60 a week is not enough to make someone your employee

Customer:

She is now considering hiring the housekeeper to come in once daily, to help with a meal a day. That would entail a monthly fee. Would that make a difference? The housekeeper does have other clients, I believe.

Megan C :

Yes, she is an independent contractor. If your mother cannot control all aspects of the work done, she's not an employee

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?