MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.

I paid qualified HSA expenses out of my pocket, but not out

I paid qualified HSA expenses out of my pocket, but not out of my HSA account are they deductible
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer:

Yes, you can include qualified medical expenses that you paid for as part of the medical expenses on Schedule A. However, to obtain any benefits you need to itemize deductions. Any medical expenses you paid will first need to exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income. Only the expenses that exceed that amount will be deductible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im sorry ill try to be more clear. I took a 4000 dollar HSA account deduction on page one of my 1040. my 1099 showed only 2000 deposited and I claimed 4000 spent. 4000 is my true expense I have receipts for these costs. the IRS is only allowing me a deduction for 2000. I do not Itemize. I say since I actualy spent 4000 in total for the year I should get the full deduction on page one of my 1040. even though only 2000 went through my HSA account.

Hi Ray -

You are only allowed to deduct the actual contribution to an HSA on page 1 of your Form 1040.

Actual payments for medical expenses paid with after tax dollars are only deductible as itemized deductions on Schedule A.