Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I never filed my 2005 and 2008 taxes for the federal govt

I never filed my 2005 and 2008 taxes for the federal gov't or the state of New Yrok. what are the ramifications of not doing so? also, i wanted to check on why i never got a refund from the federal government for my 2012 taxes. is there a number i can call to get a live IRS rep. thanks
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

First things first, if you did not file a federal or state return, the statute of limitations does not apply so the IRS or New York could come back at any time and assess tax for those years

Megan C :

If you file, you start the statute of limitations

Megan C :

Also, if you were due a refund you have lost the refund now because it's over 3 years since the return was due.

Megan C :

If you owe tax, you will owe penalties and interest on top of the tax due.

Megan C :

To talk to the IRS, you can call 1-800-829-1040. There's a lot of automated stuff on that line, but I have been able to get through to an actual person using that number.

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions? If not, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Al,

I see you had trouble accessing the live chat. I have switched the mode of our conversation. You can still reply to me using the reply button below. Otherwise, if I have covered the informatioon you need, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

New York has assessed a tax for those years 2005 and 2008 for which my friend has not filed a tax return. by filing the return can she get the assessment reduced or eliminated?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up. Yes, by filing the return she can get her assessment reduced to the actual tax that she owes, and eliminated if she owes no tax.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me know if you need anything additional

Megan
Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level