Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Hi Megan,You recently replied to me about receiving a penalty

Hi Megan,

You recently replied to me about receiving a penalty letter for late filing of 2012 return (which was what another expert on here told me to do) for an LLC our Trust owned. This return shouldn't have been filed since the LLC is a "disregarded entity", and you said to write a letter about this erroneous filing to the IRS address stated in the penalty letter, which I did. Now I've received an "intent to seize property" letter. What the heck is going on? How the heck do I resolve this?

Megan C :

Thanks for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

I'm sorry to hear about this.

Megan C :

You're going to have to get a hold of the IRS. I would contact the number listed on this letter, ASAP and explain what happend.

Megan C :

At this point, I think you would be better served if you had a local professional help you to get this lined out. It's a lot to navigate and there's not much time.

Megan C :

Basically, what's happened is they either did not get your letter, or they have ignored it.

Customer:

I shouldn't have needed a local cpa to do exactly what you said to do: write a letter with all the corresponding information. I just don't understand the IRS not responding. I thought you said this happens all the time and that was the normal course of business to resolve. ??

Megan C :

Well they did have the government shut down. But, you need to act fast if they sent an intent to seize letter

Customer:

I just received the seize letter last night and it says I have until 11/21/13. I'm trying to resolve right away, which is why I contacted you.

Megan C :

I can't help you, I can only tell you to contact the IRS.

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry, all you can do is contact the IRS. I wish I had another solution, but I do not. The only thing you can do is contact them and let them know what happened.

Megan C :

They should then stop the action.

Customer:

I understand. I think you're right that the shutdown has caused the delay in their responding to my letter. I included a zero'd out return with that letter as well, which I believe has to be eventually filed on their end, but who knows. They can do anything they want. Anyway, notices like these definitely invoke panic. All I can do is try and get ahold of someone. I've been on hold for almost an hour now. Gotta love the one-sided system!

Megan C :

I understand!

Megan C :

It's so frustrating, I know. I wish I had a magic solution, but nothing is easy with the IRS

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Megan C :

I feel bad that I can't personally help you solve your problem.

Customer:

No, thank you. I was able to finally speak with someone at the IRS, who was actually quite helpful. He believes, as you said, that the matter hasn't been resolved by the IRS due to the furlough. He noted the account and placed it in suspense until the IRS has time to process. He said my letter had everything necessary to resolve the matter and that there was nothing further needed on my end, so it sounds like what you had previously advised was perfect.

Susan,

So glad you were able to speak with the IRS and that they were helpful to you. The furlough has caused a lot of taxpayers a lot of grief. I'm so relieved you got everything situated, I was actually worried because of the short turnaround on the letter.

Thanks for the positive ratinig, and be sure to come back and see me next time you have a tax issue.

Thanks!