Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am using my healthcare insurance offered at my job. I have

I am using my healthcare insurance offered at my job. I have used the pretax option this year. The total payments are 8046 for 2013. I am not sure how it works for taxes. Will all of it come off my taxable income, or is there a max pretax deduction after which I will have to pay the taxes that were not deducted automatically?

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Typically when you pay for health insurance through your employer it is pre-tax meaning the the amount is deducted from your pay before calculating taxews

Megan C :

So, it's deducted automatically

Customer:

great. I got worried that the pretax deductions has a max. Next year will be more in the neighborhood of $12.500 for our family. My husband has an HSA account. He is a self-employed professional. Can he continue to use his HSA deductions? We file separate, married.

Megan C :

Yes, he should be alright

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

no thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful

Megan C :

I'm so glad I could help!

thank you for your positive rating and generous bonus. IT was a pleasure working with you today. Please let me know if you need anything additional.