Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Im a resident of California with income from Montana. Montana

I'm a resident of California with income from Montana. Montana is asking for my federal return and all forms and schedules; and " all earnings statements. Do they have a right to information that has nothing to do with Montana?

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Unfortunately, the states that you earn income in do have a right to request your federal income tax return. They use this to ascertain whether or not there is additional unclaimed income for their state.

Customer:

Does that include all financial statements, w-2, 1099, ... everything?

Megan C :

They can ask for that information too

Megan C :

to ensure that none of your income came from a Montana source

Customer:

Ok, I guess that covers it. Thanks.

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry if this is not the news you had hoped to hear

Customer:

It seems unjust. But that's just the way the tax ball rolls I guess. Thanks for the expert reply.

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

If there's nothing else I can assist you with today, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

OK I'll do that. Thanks.

Megan C :

You're welcome. Hope you have a great day!

Thanks, Paul for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me for any of your tax, finance, or social security questions. It was a pleasure working with you today.