Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I owe nc dep of revenue $1300 sales tax for my 2nd quarter

I owe nc dep of revenue $1300 sales tax for my 2nd quarter and I do not have all the money to pay it. I payed this last quarter with no problem. I even sent another $68 toward my 2nd quarter owed. will nc department of revenue allow me to make payments for the remaining $1232.00. will I face criminal charges in anyway. please tell me what to do.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 9 months ago.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

You can relax, because you have done nothing criminal here

Megan C :

You will not have charges. Instead, contact NC and make payment arrrangements.

Customer:

ok what do I do. I am trying to keep a small business running. I was hurt in ground zero on the clean up crew. having 2 strokes and cancer. I don't want to go to jail. I work hard.

Megan C :

You will definitely not go to jail

Megan C :

All you need to do is contact the state and agree on a payment plan

Customer:

I payed this quarter and even sent extra money for my 2nd quarter.

Megan C :

Thats good. All you need to do now, is make arrangements for the sales tax you have due

Customer:

I thought that being I collected tax money from my customers that I was liable criminaly. what department do I ask for when I call

Megan C :

You are only criminal if you don't pay it, and then refuse to pay it. You're not criminal if you just make a mistake and spend the money and don't pay....you just make arrangements

Megan C :

You would call the departmnet of revenue

Customer:

I also owe $300 for employee withholding tax.

Megan C :

Just $300?

Megan C :

That's not a problem either,, but I would get that paid too

Customer:

Megan thank you so much. I can go to sleep now because I was unable to sleep last night

Megan C :

Yes, get you some rest. You're going to be fine. Next time you can't sleep get on here...we are open 24 hours a day

Customer:

I would like to send you an attachment if you don't mind

Megan C :

What is it? Don't send anything personal because this is posted on the web.

Customer:

it is a story about me and ground zero http://fleetowner.com/blog/standing-tall

Megan C :

Oh okay :-)

Customer:

I was a truck driver

Megan C :

Wow I see that. That's awesome!

Customer:

thank you and GOD BLESS YOU. I love this service

Customer:

I will call Monday bright and early

Megan C :

I'm glad. And I'm glad you're feeling better

Megan C :

Sounds like you've been through a lot

Customer:

yea just trying to survive

Megan C :

Well, you're doing a good job :-)

Customer:

believe it or not my bank killed me on overdrafts. I was chain reaction that started on a weekend and I could not fix until Monday. I will let you go so you can help someone else. thanks again

Megan C :

You're welcome. If you would, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

super excellent

Megan C :

Thanks. The rating feature is located along the bottom of the screen

Megan C :

5 stars/smileys gives me full credit

Megan C :

''

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, Louis for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me for any of your tax, finance, and social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.