Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

I have foreign income and I got credit for it , what are the

I have foreign income and I got credit for it , what are the documents do I need to keep ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

You need to keep documentation of what you earned, such as your paystubs. If you have a foreign equivalent of a W-2 that would be good.

Customer:

i work as part time job as expert upon request and they are paying me up my services for each month so the a mount it varies form month to month so I am not sure that pay stubs work and I have no W2 so what is the solution here I thought I can get it so do you have solution for me please?

Megan C :

Just keep copies of the checks that they give you. If you don't have that, then your bank statements should be enough

Customer:

I got the money by money gram western union or cash some times they send it to me so .

Megan C :

Just keep copies of whatever you have showing your income - whether it be bank statements. If they give you cash, then just keep a log

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

I am trying to request like statement from the employer is this better .

Megan C :

You could do that, if they are willing to give the statement

Customer:

ok

Customer:

but they dont know there how the statement looks like I mean what the information on the statement that I need it from them there.

Megan C :

All you would need is just a statement saying that you work for them, and how much they have paid you

Megan C :

Did you have any further questions about this?

Customer:

what about my job description is important to be mentioned on such statement or not , also date when I start working for them

Megan C :

For tax purposes that's not needed ... just how much you earned is fine

Customer:

I need to know what I R S focusing on to be prepared

Customer:

in case I audited

Megan C :

The IRS is not concerned about your job description. They just want to know how much money you make

Customer:

because I efill by-myself last year so I might made mistakes when Ifilled

Megan C :

Ok

Customer:

so are you sure about that is only that I am working for them and how much I get after tax there right

Megan C :

Yes, that's all you need. That's all the information that is on a W-2

Customer:

I mean gross or net income

Customer:

or both

Megan C :

Both would be good

Customer:

with detail s

Megan C :

Yes, that would be good

Customer:

or just amount because there alot of tax in my home country

Megan C :

The gross amount is what the IRS is concerned about, but you can also get the net if you wanted

Customer:

so it is better to be detailed can you send me like a link or a sample show it to s how this statement should so I send it to them and they might they agree to do one like it

Megan C :

I don't have a sample for this... this is not a normal circumstance

Customer:

really because they offering different statement but it is contain any income amount ok I will look for it by-myself , I thought there are stander form what is about form 4852 is it appropriate for me

Megan C :

Form 4852 is for a situation where your American employer doesn't issue you a W-2 or you lose yours and can't get a replacement

Megan C :

It's not for a foreign employer

Customer:

I see thank you so much , just to be sure all what I need just statement form the employer that contains gross income , name of company , address , contacts .

Customer:

and this is enough

Megan C :

Yes, this is enough

Customer:

irs would request an extra staff up to your experience

Customer:

like work contract because I have not one

Customer:

is it required

Megan C :

No, it's not required

Customer:

ok

Customer:

great

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

please I know that I repeating are you sure IRS would not request any extra document in such cases upto your experience

Megan C :

Yes, I am sure that the IRS would not require any additional documentation other than what we have already discussed

Customer:

thank you so much have good night

Megan C :

You too, it was a pleasure working with you today

Megan C :

If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.