Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I have foreign income and I got credit for it , what are the

I have foreign income and I got credit for it , what are the documents do I need to keep ?

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

You need to keep documentation of what you earned, such as your paystubs. If you have a foreign equivalent of a W-2 that would be good.

Customer:

i work as part time job as expert upon request and they are paying me up my services for each month so the a mount it varies form month to month so I am not sure that pay stubs work and I have no W2 so what is the solution here I thought I can get it so do you have solution for me please?

Megan C :

Just keep copies of the checks that they give you. If you don't have that, then your bank statements should be enough

Customer:

I got the money by money gram western union or cash some times they send it to me so .

Megan C :

Just keep copies of whatever you have showing your income - whether it be bank statements. If they give you cash, then just keep a log

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

I am trying to request like statement from the employer is this better .

Megan C :

You could do that, if they are willing to give the statement

Customer:

ok

Customer:

but they dont know there how the statement looks like I mean what the information on the statement that I need it from them there.

Megan C :

All you would need is just a statement saying that you work for them, and how much they have paid you

Megan C :

Did you have any further questions about this?

Customer:

what about my job description is important to be mentioned on such statement or not , also date when I start working for them

Megan C :

For tax purposes that's not needed ... just how much you earned is fine

Customer:

I need to know what I R S focusing on to be prepared

Customer:

in case I audited

Megan C :

The IRS is not concerned about your job description. They just want to know how much money you make

Customer:

because I efill by-myself last year so I might made mistakes when Ifilled

Megan C :

Ok

Customer:

so are you sure about that is only that I am working for them and how much I get after tax there right

Megan C :

Yes, that's all you need. That's all the information that is on a W-2

Customer:

I mean gross or net income

Customer:

or both

Megan C :

Both would be good

Customer:

with detail s

Megan C :

Yes, that would be good

Customer:

or just amount because there alot of tax in my home country

Megan C :

The gross amount is what the IRS is concerned about, but you can also get the net if you wanted

Customer:

so it is better to be detailed can you send me like a link or a sample show it to s how this statement should so I send it to them and they might they agree to do one like it

Megan C :

I don't have a sample for this... this is not a normal circumstance

Customer:

really because they offering different statement but it is contain any income amount ok I will look for it by-myself , I thought there are stander form what is about form 4852 is it appropriate for me

Megan C :

Form 4852 is for a situation where your American employer doesn't issue you a W-2 or you lose yours and can't get a replacement

Megan C :

It's not for a foreign employer

Customer:

I see thank you so much , just to be sure all what I need just statement form the employer that contains gross income , name of company , address , contacts .

Customer:

and this is enough

Megan C :

Yes, this is enough

Customer:

irs would request an extra staff up to your experience

Customer:

like work contract because I have not one

Customer:

is it required

Megan C :

No, it's not required

Customer:

ok

Customer:

great

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

please I know that I repeating are you sure IRS would not request any extra document in such cases upto your experience

Megan C :

Yes, I am sure that the IRS would not require any additional documentation other than what we have already discussed

Customer:

thank you so much have good night

Megan C :

You too, it was a pleasure working with you today

Megan C :

If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.