Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My health insurance expires at the end of the year. I understand

My health insurance expires at the end of the year. I understand I can apply for a tax credit or subsidy due to my income. Can you tell where to file online and for which one?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 12 months ago.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

You will automatically apply for the subsidy when you apply for a new plan.

Megan C :

You will do this by going to www.healthcare.gov

Customer:

Hello, thanks for responding.

Megan C :

When you go to sign up for a plan, then they will calculate everything for you.

Megan C :

The health insurance company will get the subsidy based on your income directly

Customer:

Will it be based on projected income for 2014 or 2013?

Megan C :

It will be based off your 2013 income

Customer:

I spoke with a broker who I found online today, and he mentioned a plan which was Empire BC BS Platinum and sounded pretty good. Would I be able to select this plan from the site when I apply or would I need to go through a broker?

Megan C :

You'll need to apply through the healthcare.gov website

Customer:

Yes, they were going to guide me through the process. Is there an advantage to going through broker or going directly to the site?

Megan C :

With the broker you just have someone who knows more about how it works is all

Megan C :

but it's not required.

Customer:

Any downside to either?

Megan C :

No, I don't see a downside - it's just a matter of preference

Customer:

OK thanks

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 12 months ago.
Thanks, Joan for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you need a tax, finance, or social security question answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.

Thanks!

Megan Cook