YourTaxDefender
YourTaxDefender, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  I am an Enrolled Agent licensed to practice before the IRS; specialized in Tax resolutions.

hi I have question about my tax return last year and I want

Customer Question

hi I have question about my tax return last year and I want it to be sure about I filled the return and I got good amount of credit and I used Turbo Tax software and it says 100 % and low risk of audit and everything were Ok and I was so happy when I filled and I got this credit becuase this is first time I did it by myself last week I had talk with one of experts and he told me that I should not get this credit ,I asked him why , so he explained that I am getting money from overseas and it is earned ( salary ) form foreign company but I should work for them here as expedite get this credit so I got confused , because on Turbo Tax soft ware it doesn't ask me such a question on software interview and I answered all the questions related to my foreign income correctly and I double checked again if I made a mistake but it isnot .
so please I need to answer is he right about this credit that I shouldnot get ?
if he is right what I have to do about that ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 9 months ago.
Welcome. Thank you for choosing us to assist you. My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to help make your life, a little... less taxing.

Are you referring to the foreign earned income exclusion credit or another credit?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

yes

but on software it says I am not qualified but I got credit because I have 3 children it was about 5000$ , am I in trouble ?

I think you might be referring to the Earned Income Credit and not the Foreign Earned Income exclusion. My apologies, but I am not clear as to what the issue is. Did you already receive the $5,000? If the software indicates that you do not qualify for this credit, how did you receive the $5,000? Did you receive $5,000 for tax year 2011 or 2012?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok are you familiar with turbo tax right ?

I followed all the steps right I am sure and I got credit when I went to less common income then to foreign earned income and exclusion and I followed the steps make money out side US ? answered Yes , then I choose statement from my foreign employment , then I entered the money amount , does money comes from military or Us goverment sources abroad or Cuba I answered no , wages adjusment I left it blank because there us not , also for rest expenses like home , car, I left it blank , amount in cash I left it blank , then do you to exclude your foreign income I choose yes , working living outdide USA I answered no, the answer was you don't qualify ,then do you want to delelt form 2555 I answered no , then on the screen around 5000$ so what is the mistake I put all information accurate !! and this was for 2012 return and I got the money .

the problem as I told you I had talk with tax prepar expert and he told me that you shouldnot get credit for such foriegn income every thing with the turbo tax soft was smooth and ok , that the reason that I am confused .

Hello again,

My apologies, but I am having trouble following you here, so I am going to opt out and release the question back into the question queue so that someone else might be able to assist you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

why I sent you clearly what I did with the soft ware are you expert with foreign income issues or not ?

Expert:  Anne replied 9 months ago.

Hi
Thank you for requesting me.

I have a few questions I need to ask you

1- you refer to form 2555. That is a form for US citizens or Resident Aliens can file if they work over seas.

Did you actually work out of the US last year, and if so, how long did you work there?

Are you still here?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

are you here ?

Expert:  Anne replied 9 months ago.
yes
Expert:  Anne replied 9 months ago.
are you here too?
Expert:  Anne replied 9 months ago.
ok........hopefully we're both on this page...........I posted a question for you, have you seen it yet?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok

no I wasnot outside US last year but I an getting wages from my employer there .

Expert:  Anne replied 9 months ago.
Whew...I think we finally made it to the same page

That helped thank you

I've been studying your question, and since you didn't live over seas, (meaning you can't take the foreign income exclusion.),....I have to assume that you're speaking about the Earned Income Credit

Do you have children that live with you?
Expert:  YourTaxDefender replied 8 months ago.

Hello. I specialize in Tax Resolution. State and Federal Wage Levies and Bank levies. Can assist in all IRS issues. When Turbo Tax asked you about excluding the foreign income and you stated yes, but did not work outside the US, you did not qualify to exclude the income. The form 2555 is for Claiming the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, which again you did not qualify for. Your tax home must have been in a foreign country, since it did not you should have deleted the form 2555.

If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better (excellent, is ideal)… That's the only way they will pay us here.

HOWEVER, if you need more on this, PLEASE COME BACK here, so you won't be charged for another question