Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

What is the best way to title real estate when being purchased

What is the best way to title real estate when being purchased by a mother and daughter to avoid tax problems later on when one of the parties dies?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

How are you tonight?

Megan C :

I would like to alleviate some of your worries, because if you inherit property there is no tax.

Megan C :

So, if the mother and daughter owned the real estate, and the mother died, the daughter would inherit the share. There would be no tax. The daughters basis would be 1/2 of what she had invested in the house personally and 1/2 the fair market value on the date of the death of the mother.

Megan C :

The only time that there would be tax is if the daughter decided to sell the property for a gain.

Customer:

Is that in any state? I was afraid there would be inheritance tax which would possibly make the survivor unable to afford the tax and remain in their home.

Megan C :

No, let me check on states but typically there is no inheritance tax.

Megan C :

What states are you interested in? I see Ohio on your question information

Megan C :

Ohio does not have an inheritance tax.

Customer:

Just OH

Customer:

What about federal tax?

Megan C :

No, there is no inheritance tax in Ohio

Megan C :

No federal inheritance tax...only estate taxes, but that's only if you have a worth of over $5.2 million

Customer:

No worry about that amount of worth!

Customer:

What is the estate tax rate?

Megan C :

The estate tax rate is 35% on anything above $5.2 million

Customer:

So, it sounds like the mother and daughter in a joint survivorship deed would be okay.

Megan C :

Yes, it would be perfectly fine from a tax perspective.

Megan C :

Actually very wise, since the asset will not go through probate

Customer:

Can you think of any other considerations?

Megan C :

None that I can think of. It's typical to avoid probate and share ownership

Megan C :

Now, if the mother wanted her share to be split up between all of her children, this would not be the way to go

Customer:

She does not.

Megan C :

Or if the mother had a spouse and wanted her spouse to have that portion, then it would not either

Megan C :

Likewise on the daughter

Megan C :

if she has her own children or spouse she wants to have her assets when she dies, that would be different

Customer:

Daughter is single.

Megan C :

You should be good, then

Customer:

I guess that covers it. Thank you.

Megan C :

You're welcome.

Megan C :

If you would, please rate my response as 'excellent' so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

okay. Can I copy this response?

Megan C :

yes, you can come back to this same web address any time and it will still be there.

Megan C :

Also, a copy will be emailed to you once you rate

Customer:

Thank you.

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

You can also print using your browser's print function

Megan C :

Please don't forget to rate, as that's the only way I receive credit for assisting tonight.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Gloria for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.