Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Moved from South Carolina to Washington State (a no state income

Moved from South Carolina to Washington State (a no state income tax state), however South Carolina says I must pay $10,000 in back state tax because my company reported I was still in South Carolina although I moved in March. I have residency proof for Washington, what do I do?\\

Bill Whiting

Megan C :

Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Megan C :

how are you today?

Megan C :

All you need to do in this situation is get copies of your proofs of residency, and write back to the state showing them that you took up residence in Washington state.

Customer:

Thanks. I did, however they want my company to correct their W-2 forms. Based on your answer, I will send them my rental contract and voter's registration card, and my utility bills. I think your answer covers my anxiety. Thanks a bunch.

Megan C :

You're welcome. You will need to submit a new state version of the W-4 form

Megan C :

Actually there is no state W-4 in south carolina sorry

Megan C :

You will just have to have your employer update their records.

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the opportunity to assist. Please come back and see me. I see where we were having difficulty in chat. If you need any additional assistance, please reply below. Otherwise, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.