How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29524
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is in regards XXXXX XXXXX Law. Internal Revenue Code Sec.

This answer was rated:

This is in regards XXXXX XXXXX Law. Internal Revenue Code Sec. 267(a) describes who are related persons for taking a loss from the sale or exchange of property. One of my tax clients is a Partnership. One of the partners wants to transfer his shares to his son's wife. This transfer would result in a tax loss for the old partner if to an unrelated person. I am simply a tax accountant -- need a better pair of eyes to confirm what the code says.

Lev :

Hi and welcome to our site!
Your assessment seems as correct. Family members for Sec. 267(a) purposes include only those specifically listed - as lineal descendants. In-laws and step relationships are not related parties - therefore losses on sale or exchanges with these parties may be deducted.
Unless... his son's wife is merely acting as a nominee for a related party and the asset will be treated as the martial asset paid with martial funds - and not a separate asset owned his son's wife and paid with her own funds.
If that will clear be a separate asset owned his son's wife - there is no issues.

Lev :

The situation is commonly referenced by the case Stern v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue, 215 F.2d 701 (3d Cir. 1954) which rules that a son-in-law is not a related person within the meaning of the section 267.

Simister v. Commissioner, 4 T.C. 470 (1944) rules that a loss is partially allowed on the sale of property by a father to his daughter and son-in-law in which the buyers acquired the property as tenants in common.
See here -




Thank you. This is helpful. But, how do I know if the son's wife is merely acting as a nominee? Michigan is not a Community Property State. Does that make a difference?

Lev :

That is not something you could know - but your assessment may be based on knowing all facts and circumstances. As we are heading to a gray area - there will be "open door" for interpretations.
Generally - it doesn't matter what you or I think about that transaction... but you may want to warn the client that the IRS might disagree with our interpretation - and could treat that sale as partly to his son and partly to his son's wife. In this case - they might be asked to proof their intention in the Tax Court. While that might be rare situation - still that is possible - especially if a large amount involved - and the client might need to be aware.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions