How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How legal does a side job business need to be in Illinois? We

Resolved Question:

How 'legal' does a side job business need to be in Illinois?

We live rurally in Illinois. My husband is a Plumber who experiences many layoffs in between jobs. We depend on his unemployment benefits in between jobs. He is also a talented welder and would like to start a side business fixing small parts for people. This business is likely to only bring in a couple hundred extra dollars a month.

We looked into being an S-Corp for the legal protection from our assets even though this type of business would have very little liability. During my research I learned that the unemployment office frowns upon small businesses as they assume you are spending your time growing your business not looking for work.

That said, all we'd like to do is legally be able to put a sign in the yard and an ad in the newspaper. We are more than willing to claim any income on our taxes and with unemployment (when he is on it). So what is legally required for that? Can we just go ahead and do it claiming the money at the end of the year or do we have to get an EIN, register with the state, etc.

I am looking for bare minimums for a bare minimum earning side business.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.

Lev :

Hi and welcome to our site!
In general - there is nothing specifically you need to do to start your own business - your spouse may just operate under his own name and his own SSN - and generally - so special registration required.

Lev :

For federal tax purposes - you will report all business income and expenses - on the schedule C -
The net income (after deductions)will be reported on the form 1040 line 12 -
If the business has net income over $400, it may be required to file Schedule SE, Self-Employment Tax and net income is likely self-employment income and 15.3% self-employment tax would be required.
Self-employment taxes from schedule SE will go to the form 1040 line 56 -
Also - you will deduct half of self-employment taxes on the line 27.
Generally - that all you needs for income tax purposes . Please review all possible deductions - that might help to reduce income tax liability.

Lev :

For unemployment purposes - if your spouse will earn income - means if his business will produce net income - his eligibility for unemployment benefits might be affected - and he is required to report that net income.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So as long as we are claiming the income at the end of the year, it's considered 'legal'?

Also, most of his customers would be farmers who would prefer to deduct the bill at the end of the year. Can we legally write them a bill and receive a check as payment?

I read online that all business owners are required to register in Illinois. So you're saying I wouldn't need to do that?
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.

Registration might be required if you are selling goods and such sales are subject of sales tax - yes - in this case the business must be registered.

Services which do not involve sales of good are generally not subject of sales tax - and registration is not required.

Also - there are some specific types of activities which require license - for instance attorneys, doctors, sellers of firearms, and some others.

Most small businesses do not require any registration.

However - some local cities might require registration if you run the business out of your home - so you may verify with your local administration.

However - you are never required to register a separate business entity - such as LLC or corporation - that is your choice.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great this is what I needed to know. THANK YOU!
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.

You may review following publications related to sales taxes in Illinois -

Specifically - see page 4 - You must register with us as a retailer if you "do business" in Illinois and you sell "tangible personal property" at retail.

Under what circumstances would I be registered as a reseller?
You will be registered as a reseller - rather than a retailer - if all of your sales of tangible personal property are nontaxable(i.e., all sales are to exempt buyers or are for resale) and you wish to buy your merchandise tax-free from registered Illinois suppliers.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience