Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

What would the tax effect be if I donated foreign currency

What would the tax effect be if I donated foreign currency to a charity who then exchanged it for more than I paid for it.

Robin D. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you today. I am a tax adviser with over 15 years of experience.
Property is ordinary income property if you would have recognized ordinary income or short-term capital gain had you sold it at fair market value on the date it was contributed. If you had exchanged and received more then you would have had a gain.
If you contribute property with a fair market value that is more than your basis in it, you may have to reduce the fair market value by the amount of appreciation (increase in value) when you figure your deduction.

Robin D. :

The amount you can deduct for a contribution of ordinary income property is its fair market value minus the amount that would be ordinary income or short-term capital gain if you sold the property for its fair market value. Generally, this rule limits the deduction to your basis in the property.

Robin D. :

So your contribution would be your cost in the currency.

Customer:

So if I paid $100 and it was exchanged for $200 then my deduction would be limited to the $100 I paid for it?

Robin D. :

That is correct

Customer:

Ok, thank you.

Robin D. :

You are most welcome.
Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Customer:

Will do.

Robin D. :

If you’re a subscription customer, feel free to add me to your Preferred Expert Team so we can work together in the future

Customer:

Ok

Robin D. :

Best wishes

Customer:

Same to you

Thank you